Friday, November 13, 2009

That's right. I'm a cover model.

Every model dreams of her first cover. As a small child, I pictured my glamorous headshot on the cover of People Magazine. I realize People is not exactly Vogue, but I grew up in Nebraska, was really excited about getting "Chic" jeans from Target (sidenote: "Chic" was the brand, not necessarily the adjective I was using to describe them,) and was unaware that Vogue even existed at the time. My other option was the cover of any bridal mag, as I was also obsessed with planning my future wedding. But that's another point of irony that I will save for a later post.

So People or Modern Bride. Which one would it be? Actually, it would be Scientific American Mind. If you are like me and have never heard of this special gem, it is apparently quite popular in airports and psychology classes. Ok fine. So it's a science magazine. No big deal. Kind of funny, but not hysterical - the girl on the previous issue had looked cute and normal.

So can someone please explain to me why, when I went to pick my issue up from the newsstand, I was to find my BALD HEAD smiling back at me?? BALD??? REALLY?? They had to photoshop away my hair and instead have my skull morphing into several different puzzle pieces??

Immediately I attached the link to an email to send to my parents. Subject: I hate my life. My dad replied immediately with a very sweet email assuring me I am still 'one of the pretty people.' My mother, however, did not reply. I called her the next day to inquire as to why she neglected to respond to my major life moment. Her response? "I was laughing so hard, your dad said I better get it together before I talked to you." Thanks mom.

Again. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment