Monday, January 17, 2011

Have You Hugged Your Local Black Man Today?


Near the end of last week, I began to hear whispers of an upcoming holiday. Specifically, today.

On one hand, I was excited. Who doesn't love a good holiday? On another hand, I was not excited. I still had a meeting and an audition today. The only ways in which it affected my day were the increase in traffic, my depression around 2pm when I realized the mail was never going to arrive, and the fact that I had to use the ATM to deposit my checks. (I like real people. I don't trust machines. I don't trust people either, but at least, if something goes wrong, I have someone to blame.) On one of those hands again, or possibly another appendage, I was a bit confused. I couldn't remember the name of this mysterious holiday that followed so closely on the heels of New Year's Eve.

I thought about looking it up, but I had more important things to Google at the time. Like what time Yogurtland closes. I also made the assumption I would see it in some headline or overhear some conversation... in some way, shape or form, I would be informed by the time Monday rolled around.

False. I didn't find out what today's holiday was until I went out of my way and asked a friend via BBM in the middle of the afternoon.

I know people say that bookstores are antiquated relics that will soon be put out of their misery by creepy little Kindles - but where else am I supposed to purchase the wall calendar I so clearly need??

Please hold while I draft a letter to Blackberry informing them of their calendar fail. Because, clearly, this situation is not my fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment