Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I've Maintained My Youth

Do you ever look back on childhood events and marvel at how far you've come? I don't. This is a vignette I wrote in the 3rd grade:

THE WEDDING

Today I was really excited! My Grandma had just brought over my flower girl dress because tomorrow I was going to be in my step step aunt's wedding. And so was Matt Carper. I forgot the other people. But anyway Matt was going to be the ringbearer, and we would have to walk down the aisle together. My step step aunt Jenny tried to make us hook elbows by saying it would look good in the wedding, but not a chance! We weren't even close to hooking elbows. We stood as far away from each other as the aisle would allow us. Well, good night I've got to get some sleep because tomorrow is a big day. "Wake up!" my mother called.

"Okay!" I said since I was already awake. First I made my bed and did all that other morning stuff. I put on my flowergirl dress and my mother did my hair in a french braid, then my Grandma took me to the church. I went down to the basement of the church and got the flowers I would hold (not throw) while I went down the aisle. Then I talked to the other people who were going to be in the wedding. And chased this little kid around. Just then somebody told me to go upstairs, so I did and when I got up there I saw how many people were there. Matt and I went first. I was on the side that Jenny was going to be on and Matt was on the side his dad was going to be on. Then Jenny and her dad came. When they got to the last aisle bench she traded off to the groom (And by the way, the bridesmaids were holding up the train that trails behind the bride.) They walked the rest of the way to the priest and he said some words. Then the people had to take millions of pictures. Then we went to this place to eat and dance. (I had to dance with Matt.)

THE END

Who could have predicted that that girl would still be single 18 years later?

No comments:

Post a Comment