Thursday, July 21, 2011

Let's Not Make This About Me


My childhood memories are, as a whole, vague and sparse, but there are certain incidents I am able to relive in full color. I feel like these must mean something? This is the special moment that popped into my head this morning:

In elementary school, the gifted classes were given a standardized test by the state, complete with medals for the top scorers. This may or may not have been one of my favorite times of the year. In 4th grade, I was chatting with my teacher, while the rest of the class was at recess (I was SO cool.) She had just received the test results and was very excited to let me know that I had beat out another child in our class for first place.

Immediately, I ran outside to spread the good news to my classmate. Fun fact about this classmate: He was the reigning "Moo-ing" champion at the Nebraska State Fair. Yup. I mean, it was actually kind of impressive - his moo was SPOT ON. Well, fourth grade is no state fair, homie. You just got beat.

Me: "Guess what?! Mrs. Sellmeyer just got the results back from the state test - you got 2nd!!"
David: "You just wanted everyone to know that you got first place, didn't you."

...

No, really, David. This is your moment.

Don't touch my medal.

No comments:

Post a Comment